It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:49 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:26 pm 

Coollector is a young program :sorry:

Updating the database and adding your own movies is something we are working on right now, but it's a heavy task, and it will take about 2 months to complete...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:01 pm 

I use the program for quite a long time and i have noticed some movies missing (i do not speak about new movies) and some mistakes about actors. Also actors are missing from movies they were in.
So i would like to know how can we help fixing this mistakes?
For example "zhank ziyi" is listed twise with her first and last name like it's not the same person.
Some photos are missing also. Kristin kreuk, Maggie Q and others have no photo. Do you have plans on adding photos for them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:10 pm 

salazar wrote:
I use the program for quite a long time and i have noticed some movies missing (i do not speak about new movies) and some mistakes about actors. Also actors are missing from movies they were in.
So i would like to know how can we help fixing this mistakes?
For example "zhank ziyi" is listed twise with her first and last name like it's not the same person.

The new database will most certainly be released within 2 or 3 weeks. It will correct this "zhank ziyi" problem.
Your help is much appreciated, but I think it's better to wait for the new database, and then report all the mistakes you'll still find.

salazar wrote:
Some photos are missing also. Kristin kreuk, Maggie Q and others have no photo. Do you have plans on adding photos for them?

We have stopped gathering actors pictures, as we are now focusing on building a movies encyclopedia as complete as can be.

But we'd gladly accept contributions. I've just added an announcement here: http://www.coollector.com/55.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:50 pm 

Since you can't gather pictures right now I would like to help you by gathering some pictures for the program.
So i would like to ask if there is a format or an analysis that you want the pictures to be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:41 pm 

That's very nice of you ! I have edited my announcement to give more details.

Be warned ! Collecting pictures is kind of addictive...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:21 pm 

Very cool program, Hector! I have tried several and Coolector is by far the most innovative. I've demonstrated the 'ping pong' interface to several friends who were equally impressed and have since also downloaded it.

Have you thought about adopting a 'wikipedia' type of format [ :shock: - wait! hear me out! ] to help with the chore of updating/correcting your database? Missing movies/details are going to be a continual burden on you and your team. Based on the messages in this forum I'm sure the user community would be more than happy to assist.

I understand this would be a huge change but it may be worth considering. If not, the ability to add 'custom' entries would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:30 am 

stilyou wrote:
Very cool program, Hector! I have tried several and Coolector is by far the most innovative. I've demonstrated the 'ping pong' interface to several friends who were equally impressed and have since also downloaded it.

Wonderful !

stilyou wrote:
Have you thought about adopting a 'wikipedia' type of format [ :shock: - wait! hear me out! ] to help with the chore of updating/correcting your database? Missing movies/details are going to be a continual burden on you and your team. Based on the messages in this forum I'm sure the user community would be more than happy to assist.

I understand this would be a huge change but it may be worth considering. If not, the ability to add 'custom' entries would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here are a few things that you must take into consideration...

Though it's not YET very useful, the Price Search is an essential part of the program's concept. Thanks to our affiliation to video stores, we can offer the program for free (and as importantly, Price Search is about to become an incredibly useful feature, with no equivalent). Maintaining the Price Search implies that we data mine the stores. For this, I've had to develop a whole set of sophisticated tools. Indeed, we must be able to link directly to a store, videos must be gathered by movie, packs of movies must be broken, etc...

Another important part of Coollector's concept, is that the stores allow us to use their material: cover images, description, technical details, etc... That's a great way to build a database legally. If we took wiki contributions, I bet that 70% would be data (illegally) ripped from the IMDb !

You're worried because we seem to be overwhelmed. It's not the case ! It was just a necessary gestation period. I've had to heavily modify the tools I'd used to create the initial database. At the time, it was only based on CDuniverse. Now the process is quite different. Now we combine the data from CDuniverse with the data from Amazon (and in a few more weeks Ebay, etc...). Videos must be uniquely identified by their barcode, etc...

The task was more tedious than I expected, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel. In a few weeks, the new database will be there, followed by weekly updates. We have a great concept, and our tools are now ready... You'll be impressed by our progress!

P.S: as I've said before, we welcome picture contributions, especially pictures of characters ! That would be such an amazing feature, unique to Coollector! Something we can only achieve through user contribution...

Post subject: What else I would like in Coollector!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:46 am 

First of all, let me say that your program is the simplest and easiest, and therefore, the most effective of this kind that I know. :yes:

However, can I give you three suggestions to improve it with simple changes?

So:

1. When searching movies or persons, instead of "String", "Criterion" and "Price" search being separated in different tabs, if all the filters could be on the same window, this could give the user the ability to select what ever he wanted, bringing it more flexible. For instance, now a day I can't look for a movie of my own with a name a want to seek.

2. An "Undo" option could be useful when a user picks a title or a name that he doesn't want, changing the views. You could keep the last 10 operations executed.

3. As you choose to display the best price in movie search results, could you also choose to display the labeling early introduced? It would be easier to find a set of movies on a shelf.

Simple things... Keep the good work. You know we will help you. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:35 am 

1. The 3 searches are very different from one another... To begin with, the criterion search and the price search are totally incompatible and can't possibly be mixed.

As of mixing the string search with the criterion search, it makes me very uncomfortable, as I don't see any plausible scenario that would demand to combine them both.
Mario wrote:
now a day I can't look for a movie of my own with a name a want to seek.

If you know the name, that's well enough to find it. Why add the filter "owned" ? You will never get that many results, and the movie you own will have its title underlined.

Also, I have plans for at least 3 new tabs (corresponding to very new types of searches).

If all those filters were mixed, it wouldn't be simpler, but harder to figure out what can be done, while on the contrary the tab labels explicit what you're about to search.

2. You're talking about an history ? With back and forth buttons as in your web browser ? That's one of the many things that I plan to add when I'll have time !

3. The criterion search will be extended with many more criteria (media type, sound type, image, studio, etc... AND LABELING). Approximately 20 criteria in all ! I also plan to add user-defined tags, and to incorporate this to the criterion search (as another criterion). For instance, you'll be able to search the drama DVDs that your own, that are widescreen, and that also match a combination of tags :wacko:

Mario wrote:
First of all, let me say that your program is the simplest and easiest, and therefore, the most effective of this kind that I know. :yes:

Thanks a lot. And "simple" doesn't necessarily mean "basic", isn't it 8)

Mario wrote:
Keep the good work. You know we will help you. :D

:yes: Thank you for all your picture contributions !