It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: [FIXED] New 1.18 coollector doesnt work
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:10 am 

hector,

just did the latest update to my Coolector, using ME, and all it does is close my program, I cant get Coolector to open, I hate to lose what up to now has been the greatest program out there I hope u can fix it cause I LOVE MY COOLECTOR. can I down load just the old version 1.17, I have lost all my 500 plus dvd entries, and have to reenter it all again, but I cant even get the 1.18 to stay open......HELP!

ps still love your program even if I have to re-enter it all again.

walt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:50 am 

Hi Walt,

I don't know what's happening, but the most important thing is that you don't lose your personal data which is in the file \Coollector\Coollections\MyCoollection.cool.

1) make a backup of this file and keep it preciously.
Please send me a copy so I check it is not corrupted (hector at coollector dot com).

2) delete the file \Coollector\Database\indexing.dat and see if it fixes the problem.

3) replace the program exe with this one:
ftp://ftp2.coollector.com/coollect/Coollector.exe

Don't worry, we'll fix the problem !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:05 am 

:cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:

Hi Hector,

did what you advised it seemed to work then after the 535 th re-entry of my dvds, the coollector.exe box poped up and it closed my coollector forever again, I have lost ALL my data again.

CAN I just download your old program 1.17, it was fantastic, but I cant find a download on the internet, that doesnt include the 1.18 update that has ruiened my data. :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :shout: :shout: :shout: :worried: :worried: :worried: :worried: :worried: :worried:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:29 am 

wg55 wrote:
CAN I just download your old program 1.17, it was fantastic, but I cant find a download on the internet, that doesnt include the 1.18 update that has ruiened my data.

Here is 1.17:
www.coollector.net/Coollector.exe

But I want to understand what's happening with 1.18 !!!

wg55 wrote:
did what you advised it seemed to work

You did what ? Deleted indexing.dat ? And your data was really back, or not ?

wg55 wrote:
then after the 535 th re-entry of my dvds, the coollector.exe box poped up and it closed my coollector forever again, I have lost ALL my data again.

Is it just a program crash or is your data really destroyed ? Were you able to make a backup of MyCoollection.cool ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:16 pm 

hector,

I was never able to open the program to backup or send you the file. I just downloaded your 1.17 and got this message box:

Coollector has caused an error in
COOLLECTOR.EXE.

If you continue to experience problems,
try restarting your computer.

I did and keep getting the same responce, as far as I know none of my PC settings have been changed and my 1.17 version worked fine before the update, I did lose all entries as I searched my files for log and such and found nothing. I'm not giving up the search for the problem, because your program is one of the best dispite this setback.

your loyal fan of Coollector.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:46 pm 

wg55 wrote:
I was never able to open the program to backup or send you the file.

But you don't need to open the program at all !

Just explore your hard drive, and find where Coollector is installed. That's probably inside the folder "C:\Program Files\Coollector".

When you're inside that folder:

1) Go into the subfolder "\Database" where you'll find the file "indexing.dat". Delete that file and maybe the program will work again...

2) If not, go into the subfolder "\Coollections" where you'll find the file "MyCoollection.cool". Send me this file (you'll probably have to zip it if it's bigger than 2 MB).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:35 pm 

wg55 wrote:
I just downloaded your 1.17 and got this message box:

Coollector has caused an error in
COOLLECTOR.EXE.

If you continue to experience problems,
try restarting your computer.

If you did not place it in the right folder (replacing the previous exe), it's normal...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:16 am 

hector I did exactly what you said after I reinstalled your program 1.18, I deleted the Index dat file and it worked fine for the next two hours and 300 entries, then it closed again. I went back to what you said to do, but now the index dat file will not delete, and there is nothing in the COOLECTIONS file to send you, that you keeping asking for. This has just become too much of a hassel, to spend hours, and then getting screwed up. there has to be something wrong with thwe program, the indexing thing is just too much, to deal with and Ive already spent 6 hours reentering to no avail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:45 am 

Hector, I cannot get the program to open as in my next to the last post the popup window keeps saying COOLLECTOR.EXE. will now close, and no matter how many times I delete the index dat file it keeps comming back, it seems I must throw in the towel, and hope noone else has this problem, as I really loved this program.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:20 am 

wg55 wrote:
now the index dat file will not delete

When a file can't be deleted, the only thing to do is reboot your computer.

wg55 wrote:
there is nothing in the COOLECTIONS file to send you, that you keeping asking for.

You mean that the directory "C:\Program Files\Coollector\Coollections" is empty ? I can't believe it ! Can you please make a search for the file "MyCoollection.cool" on your hard drive. And how much hard drive space do you have left ?

wg55 wrote:
This has just become too much of a hassel, to spend hours, and then getting screwed up. there has to be something wrong with thwe program, the indexing thing is just too much, to deal with and Ive already spent 6 hours reentering to no avail.

I understand you, though I'm at a loss to understand what's happening :cry2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:56 pm 

walt, I have indeed found a bug that can crash the program at startup. Could you please install the new version 1.19 I've just released, and tell me if this is it (fingers crossed).

You'll find 1.19 on my homepage: www.coollector.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:33 pm 

Hector,

I have a 250 GB hard drive, with hardly any stuff on it. the problem only arose when I updated to 1.18. I downloaded another six programs for dvd movie organizing, and hated them, and dumped them. I got your email and am downloading the 1.19. Your program is the easiest of them all. Now if it works I,ll be in heaven. NOW the ONLY other thing I hope you work on is the ability to enter manualy movies that are not in CD universes data bank, the latest movie and obscure DVDs are not listed in CD Univ. once I am able to enter any movie I own, YOUR PROGRTAM WILL REGIN SUPREME THRU-OUT THE UNIVERSE, CRUSHING ALL OTHER WANNABE DVD MOVIE ORGANIZING PROGRAMS. This is your mission, should you choose to accept it :yes: :yes: :yes: , we will follow....LOL........ :mysir: :mysir: :mysir:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:37 pm 

wg55 wrote:
I have a 250 GB hard drive, with hardly any stuff on it.

I asked just in case, but it's clearly not that.

wg55 wrote:
Your program is the easiest of them all. Now if it works I,ll be in heaven.

I would be very sad to lose you ! I'll search hard until I finally locate that fucking bug !

wg55 wrote:
NOW the ONLY other thing I hope you work on is the ability to enter manualy movies that are not in CD universes data bank, the latest movie and obscure DVDs are not listed in CD Univ.

I have good news for you ! The next update (which is imminent) will not be limited to CDuniverse. There will also be data from Amazon (and after, it will be Ebay). Amazon and Ebay have sites in many countries, and they'll allow me to gather more data about foreign movies and foreign videos.

My goal is to create an exhaustive encyclopedia of all the movies on earth. It'll take several months to build that database, but I'll allow you, the users, to tell me which movies you are missing, and I'll add them in priority !

Last edited by (cool) Hector on Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:46 pm 

On another forum, I have leaked some piece of information about the upcoming features (go down to the most recent posts):

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/456031

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/589143

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:55 am 

Hector,

Would'nt it be easier, to allow us users to be able to just type in the information of the movie that is not on those data sites., I am no programer so I dont know how hard it would be for you to add that in. I figure it would just be simpler to type it in , than to hunt for it on those data sites, I also coolect TV DVDs, that are not listed, but I am not going to bother you with them , as you already have me as a pain in the butt with my program problems. as I type this I took a break from data dvd entry, I really should just throw out all these DVDs....LOL........