It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: "Scanning your Files": BUGS or IMPROVEMENTS ? or both ?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:09 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
kepler42 wrote:
And, finally, i want to underline again that there are many circumstances where changing the filename to benefit from the feature is just NOT possible ! and anyway boring...

Please give me some exemples. I want exemples. I need exemples. For the moment, none of your exemples were meaningful.

But don't expect miracles if you name your files like a pig :doh:

PLEASE DONT USE THIS LANGUAGE. I am a professional, I am polite, and I try to be helpful.
I am precisely giving examples of the situations where i think that your search should have better results,and, as a code-aware person, I try to make suggestions. But every time you seem to be upset.
So, please, lean back, relax and try to take advantage of my remarks and do not rebuff them bluntly.

I donot "name my files like a pig" as you elegantly suggest. I just do NOT name my files myself. These names come from files created by some other persons (which I donot even know) and are used also in the bit torrent environment, as I said in my first post.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:20 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
kepler42 wrote:
This is just "UnFixable" if you do not accept the idea that " El Algorithmo" could be improved some day..

Please don't say that. I'm ok to improve the algorithm if you give me a good exemple. But don't expect the algorithm to magically fix your typos for you.

Well, I thought it was a good exemple. The Movie name is "3:10 to Yuma"
There is no typo here.
It simply turns out that the Operating System will not accept the "colon" character in a filename (in between 3 and 10)
Please try to understand what I'm saying, and take some time before rushing to your keyboard.;-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:25 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
kepler42 wrote:
Requires character forbidden in Filename( the colon in 3:10 to Yuma )

Windows won't allow the ":" character. But the program recognizes perfectly "3 10 to Yuma" or "3.10 to Yuma". What's your file named ?

The file is named "310 to Yuma"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:39 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
kepler42 wrote:
Unable to interpret dots as spaces ( La.Dernière.Fugue vs La Dernière Fugue )

It's not at all a problem of dot vs. space.

There's simply no movie in our database named "La Dernière Fugue".

In this case, the algorithm matches the most popular movie that matches the longest string.

longest string => "la dernière".

most popular movie starting with "la dernière" => "la dernière femme".

Here we are clearly creating a FALSE positive.
Here is another exemple "Les Tricheurs' which is a 1958 movie associated with "Tricheurs", a 1984 movie.which carries a clearly different name. ( I discovered this by sheer luck in the middle of my hundreds of files.. Its probaby because "Les Tricheurs" is missing from the data base.)
How do I diagnose these false positive ? It could be helpful to signal them as "Doubtful" during the Preview.
And wait for a confirm or cancel decision .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:22 am 

kepler42 wrote:
PLEASE DONT USE THIS LANGUAGE. I am a professional, I am polite, and I try to be helpful.
I am precisely giving examples of the situations where i think that your search should have better results,and, as a code-aware person, I try to make suggestions. But every time you seem to be upset.
So, please, lean back, relax and try to take advantage of my remarks and do not rebuff them bluntly.

You're amazing ! You really don't realize how agressive your post was ?

You said that the algorithm worked like a pig, that it could not recognize accented letters, dots, underscores, hyphens, that it added the files again, etc... All of this which is completely not true.

You nicknamed it "El Algorithmo". :wacko:

Watch your attitude and I'll watch my attitute. I use to be a calm and polite person, but considering all the time I spend developping this program and giving support for free, I can't be blamed for been upset by your attitude.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:25 am 

kepler42 wrote:
I donot "name my files like a pig" as you elegantly suggest. I just do NOT name my files myself. These names come from files created by some other persons (which I donot even know) and are used also in the bit torrent environment, as I said in my first post.

After having downloaded your files from torrent, you can arrange the file name if it's needed for the algorithm to work. This, or you associate the file manually.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:29 am 

kepler42 wrote:
It simply turns out that the Operating System will not accept the "colon" character in a filename (in between 3 and 10)
Please try to understand what I'm saying, and take some time before rushing to your keyboard.;-)

Please do the same.

Since you can't use the colon character, I asked you what character you had used

kepler42 wrote:
The file is named "310 to Yuma"

Ok, as I have told you, the algorithm recognizes words. And "3" is not the same as "310".

It would have worked with "3 10 to Yuma" or "3.10 to Yuma" or "3-10 to Yuma".

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:32 am 

kepler42 wrote:
Here is another exemple "Les Tricheurs' which is a 1958 movie associated with "Tricheurs", a 1984 movie.which carries a clearly different name. ( I discovered this by sheer luck in the middle of my hundreds of files.. Its probaby because "Les Tricheurs" is missing from the data base.)

The movie is not yet in the database ? End of the story !

kepler42 wrote:
How do I diagnose these false positive ? It could be helpful to signal them as "Doubtful" during the Preview.

The algorithm doesn't read your mind. Only you can diagnose a false positive.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:37 am 

kepler42 wrote:
Here is another example (La verite vs La vérité )
I DO NOT think "the algorithm" handles properly accented letters.

Once again, this has nothing to do with accented letters.

But you're right that the alogithm should have worked with "La vérité".

I made the test, and it associated "La vérité" with "La vérité si je mens 2" which is the most popular movie starting with "La vérité". But there was an exact match "La vérité", and of course the exact match should have been prioritary.

I will fix that, thanks for reporting this problem.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:42 am 

kepler42 wrote:
Why dont you use one of the public matching algorithms ?
You would save trouble for you (and your users).

Public matching algorithms won't work with Coollector. We have 75,000 movies. Each file name would have to be compared to the 75,000 movie titles, and that would take ages. Even more if I use an algorithm powerful enough to match "LesInvitésDeMonPère" with "Les Invités De Mon Père".

My algorithm is fast because it's just based on word recognition, and the database has all the words indexed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:58 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
kepler42 wrote:

You're amazing ! You really don't realize how agressive your post was ?

You said that the algorithm worked like a pig, that it could not recognize accented letters, dots, underscores, hyphens, that it added the files again, etc... All of this which is completely not true.

You nicknamed it "El Algorithmo". :wacko:

Watch your attitude and I'll watch my attitute. I use to be a calm and polite person, but considering all the time I spend developping this program and giving support for free, I can't be blamed for been upset by your attitude.

That's not fair. I never wrote -nor thought- the algorithm "worked like a pig"
. Never. check the posts. You are the one who used it to qualify a/ Me b/ the way my files are named.
By the way, to add some humour to the reply, I read recently that Pigs are probably the most intelligent mammals outside of antropoïds..

When I coined the Nickname "El Algoritmo" I was just trying to practice some lightweight humour, and to make it look nice and familiar. It was a clear miss. I apologize if that hurt you in any way.

It remains that "It" treats improperly Underscores and hyphens, considering them as full fledged characters, NOT separators. And it seems to accept commas as separators where it does not think a dot is a separator. Correcting all this is probably a few dozens line of code, but never mind.
etc..etc..

I perfectly acknowledge the qualities of the immense effort you have been achieving, and am just trying to suggest a whish list for future versions. I would be willing to pay some munies to support this effort, but you have to listen to customer desires and:or suggestions...

All this being said, if you consider you are done with my remarks, good. Ban me from the forum. And I shall live happilly discussing - DISCUSSING, that 's key- with others else where !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:28 pm 

kepler42 wrote:
It remains that "It" treats improperly Underscores and hyphens, considering them as full fledged characters, NOT separators. And it seems to accept commas as separators where it does not think a dot is a separator.

Please give me some exemple to prove that. Because I think you're wrong. The algorithm considers as a separator any character which isn't a letter or a digit.

kepler42 wrote:
Correcting all this is probably a few dozens line of code, but never mind.
etc..etc..

I'm ok to fix any issue you might find, and I will thank you for reporting the issue. But for the moment, you have it all wrong. Unless you prove it, there's no problem with underscores, hyphens, dots, etc... Take a file that was associated correctly, add it all the underscores that you want, and the file will still be associated correctly.

kepler42 wrote:
I perfectly acknowledge the qualities of the immense effort you have been achieving, and am just trying to suggest a wish list for future versions.

I really appreciate when users make suggestions and report bugs to improve the program. But please stop saying things that are not true, and let's move on to something constructive.

kepler42 wrote:
All this being said, if you consider you are done with my remarks, good. Ban me from the forum.

Banning you ? Certainly not !

I perfectly understand that your first intention is to report a problem and as I already said, I do appreciate that. We've already found a real problem with "La vérité", let's see if we can identify other problems with your other files.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:48 pm 

kepler42 wrote:

The algorithm can make abstraction of the leading article. It will recognize a movie even if you add or remove the leading article.

"Les Tricheurs" was not in the database, so it picked "Tricheurs" by abstracting the leading article, but it would have picked "Les Tricheurs" if it had been in the database.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:02 am 

APOLOGIES !
"Buckets of Ashes" on my poor head, as they used to do in Bible Times.
Please accept my flattest excuses.

After extensive research, it turns out that All the cases which led me to think that Hyphens, Underscores or dots were improperly handled were in fact Movies Missing from the database !

And I erroneously diagnosed a non-existng error. I'm Learning..
May be a sentence in the Scan report like
"Please check that the Movie exists in the Database.If not Report it"
would be useful.

The only case ( for now) which resists my analysis is about the much well know Antonioni's movie called "L'avventura".
It exists in the data base. But none of the followingspellings work:
L'avventura
L' avventura
L ' avventura
L avventura
Curiously this spelling works
avventura (removing the leadin L')

Mysteries of life ! But I can live with it..

BTW : How frequently is the data base updated (after a request has been posted, i mean)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:28 am 

kepler42 wrote:
After extensive research, it turns out that All the cases which led me to think that Hyphens, Underscores or dots were improperly handled were in fact Movies Missing from the database !

That's precisely what I wanted you to understand. We had to find the REAL reasons why an association goes wrong.

Of course, you're welcome to request the addition of those missing movies.

kepler42 wrote:
May be a sentence in the Scan report like
"Please check that the Movie exists in the Database.If not Report it"
would be useful.

We'll think about something like that, thanks !

kepler42 wrote:
The only case ( for now) which resists my analysis is about the much well know Antonioni's movie called "L'avventura".

Wonderful, you've identified another issue, thank you very much !

By the way, I've fixed the problem with "La vérité", and I've also made the scan report display the original title (for clarity). Thanks to you !

kepler42 wrote:
BTW : How frequently is the data base updated (after a request has been posted, i mean)

In 2010, our goal was to update the database every one or two weeks, but there has been several times where we failed.

In 2011, we'll try to update weekly.