It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: [FIXED] Error Message
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:21 am 

I am receiving the "coollector.exe has encountered an error and needs to close." message whenever I try to add a movie to my collection. I have been running the program for several months and have not had a problem until now. Thanks for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:33 am 

OH MY GOD !!!

YOU ARE RIGHT !!!

I'm terribly confused !!!

It's a nightmare !!!

I will release a fixed version as soon as possible (I hope in a few hours) !!!

All my apologies !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:41 am 

Ok, I have released Coollector 2.05.

Thank you very very very much for reporting this horrible bug !

I feel such ashamed to not have made tests, but I never imagined that what I was changing could have such dreadful consequences :doh:

P.S: if you want to avoid a 14 MB download, you can download the exe file only -> here <-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:13 am 

vista users can not do this, we get errors everytime we try to replace the file. so we need a new way to update the program. unfortunatly when i ran my update via the program at 12am west coast time i got the same error as everyone else. so the exe replacement was my other option. since that did not work. i must know what file keeps my current lists so i can copy it for a uninstall/reinstall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:47 am 

great the 100 plus movies i added in are now mising, i was able to get the new exe in and well now i have to revert to redoing everything i already did. you need to add a backup function fast, and make it easy to revert to a backup in such a situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:56 pm 

taalon927 wrote:
i must know what file keeps my current lists so i can copy it for a uninstall/reinstall.

Your coollection file is Coollector\Coollections\MyCoollection.cool

It's the only file you need to backup. You can also send it to friends who have Coollector installed.

There's a tutorial about coollection files -> HERE <-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:02 pm 

taalon927 wrote:
vista users can not do this, we get errors everytime we try to replace the file. so we need a new way to update the program. unfortunatly when i ran my update via the program at 12am west coast time i got the same error as everyone else.

Update did not work after I released 2.05 ? That thing becomes weirder and weirder :shock:

The other option would have been the download the full setup, and install again without uninstalling before. This way your data is untouched.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:07 pm 

taalon927 wrote:
great the 100 plus movies i added in are now missing

You mean that you had entered 100 movies in all, and everything has disappeared ? What did you do ? You must have made an uninstall at some point, didn't you ?

I'm terribly sorry when a user loses his data. Your data is the most precious thing, and I always do my best for this thing to never happen :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:12 pm 

taalon927 wrote:
you need to add a backup function fast, and make it easy to revert to a backup in such a situation.

I don't think a backup system is needed. It's overkill. Coollection files are just... files. You should consider them like a pdf, and Coollector like AcrobatReader. Exchange coollection files with your friends, make backups of them (that is, copy them elsewhere). You can even place a shortcut on the desktop for your favorite coollection files (yours, your sister's, your colleague's, etc...).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:27 am 

do to the vista issues, which is where im having these problems, the backup is a good idea. i would suggest you have the backup created in the main folder, have it auto backup with each new main file creation. this will help to increase the ability to not lose data, remember not everyone is computer literate so you need to think about the total novice in a situation like this.

Now on the replacement of the exe, the file overwrite issue is a big issue with vista for many individuals. the only way i have found a way to circumvent the issue is to do this.

take the original coolector.exe and rename it as old, then copy the new collector.exe into the folder as normal. This will make the program work, however due to this virutal folder bs, which is a big issue with all vista users, you can not delete the renamed exe file. so it remains there for now, untill i can find the solutoin. all solutoins i have tried from diffrent vista forums does not work, and i have full admin control on my system. this is a major issue in vista and you might be able to correct your program to work properly but from what i have seen it may not be a easy task at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:08 am 

taalon927 wrote:
have it auto backup with each new main file creation.

What's a main file creation ? Every time you change something (even just a rating), the change is immediately committed to the file.

Are you telling me that you lost your data without doing any uninstall ? When you add some videos and ratings, then close the program, is the data lost when you reopen it ?

I'm anxious to have access to a Vista system to make tests...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:19 am 

taalon927 wrote:
this is a major issue in vista and you might be able to correct your program to work properly but from what i have seen it may not be a easy task at all.

Yeah, Vista seems to be a real pain in the ass. I heard about UAC manifests... That might be the solution to update the program.

taalon927 wrote:
and i have full admin control on my system

Yes, but you need to explicitly upper your rights. The role of the manifest is to trigger a notification from the UAC to do so.

At least, that's what I understood...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:41 am 

Here is what I could read:

"with UAC turned on, programs that are ran from inside of an Administrator account actually run as a "standard user", unless they ask for administrator privileges through a consent dialog ("Windows needs your permission to continue"). "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:24 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
taalon927 wrote:
have it auto backup with each new main file creation.

What's a main file creation ? Every time you change something (even just a rating), the change is immediately committed to the file.

Are you telling me that you lost your data without doing any uninstall ? When you add some videos and ratings, then close the program, is the data lost when you reopen it ?

I'm anxious to have access to a Vista system to make tests...

Yes i lost data by running the updater that do update everything but the exe. so something happened to wipe the file, maybe it was the update im not sure.

Now as far as UAC i have it turned off to avoid this, and i only have a admin account on the system. Many many admins in companys are pissed at this stupid UAC thing cause even under admin accounts they have alot of problems changing things. What the main issue is vista wont let you change to upper level permissions, and the stupid system does not recognize a admin as a admin thats the problem with vista.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:13 pm 

Thank you taalon927 for your explanations. I hope I'll fix this Vista problem as soon as possible. Probably it's better if you disable the auto-update for the moment, only check the website to know if there's a new version, in which case you'll make a full install, without uninstalling before.