It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: [FIXED] version 3.03 crash problem
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:33 am 

Hi Hector,

Since you release ver 3.03 the program has been much more stable.

The program still crashes occasionally, usually when I am entering a custom pack from scratch in the edit screen and it will not then enter the dvd title that I was working on. I then repeat the process and it will work fine.

I'm afraid I dont have any debugging info for you as I am posting this comment from a different computer

The database error problem I had previously where I owned all movies has not reoccurred and I am still entering my collection. However I am backing up regularly to proof myself from a large data entry job.

The program is getting better so keep up the good work.

Kindest regards

John

Post subject: Re: version 3.03 crash problem
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:05 pm 

beejayau wrote:
The program still crashes occasionally, usually when I am entering a custom pack from scratch in the edit screen

Thank you for your feedback, I'll make some experiment.

beejayau wrote:
I am backing up regularly to proof myself from a large data entry job.

You only have to close Coollector, and if you have made any changes during this session, it'll create a backup automatically.

beejayau wrote:
The program is getting better so keep up the good work.

:D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:04 am 

This version,has a virus,suspicious cloud 2,acording to Norton Antivirus,that means:
1/Norton Blocks the startup
2/Norton Removes the Updater

I have added 2 Snapshots,indicating the problems

PS
If that stays thatway I have to remove this program,and
qualify it as MALICIOUS

I am using XP

TIA

Attachments:
File comment: Notifications of Norton
Norton Antivirus Removal.jpg
Norton Antivirus Removal.jpg [ 28.1 KiB | Viewed 8266 times ]
File comment: Program at statup
Coollector Error.jpg
Coollector Error.jpg [ 49.88 KiB | Viewed 8266 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:41 am 

Urko wrote:
This version,has a virus,suspicious cloud 2, acording to Norton Antivirus

I'm aware of this problem. We have received a bad review on download.com because of that, and this bad review drives away potential users.

But the problems comes from Norton, not from us. Our program doesn't have any virus. It's a false positive.

Norton's "sonar" has become very sensitive, and many legitimate programs can't be used anymore with Norton:

http://community.norton.com/t5/tag/fals ... s_feedback

"Sonar suddenly extremely sensitive"
"sonar removes my MSWorks.exe"
"SONAR deletes clean application"
"False Positive. White listing request"

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=327622

Yesterday I've filled the form to be added to their white list, but I've heard that this can take a very long time.

As a Norton user, please help us by reporting this false positive to them:

https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/

Urko wrote:
PS
If that stays that way I have to remove this program,and
qualify it as MALICIOUS

Please don't threat us. Understand that we are just victims. It's not our fault if Norton has become a bad antivirus, you should rather complain to them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:36 pm 

I'm curious. What is coollector.updater.exe? It's not an executable. Executables showing up in temporary folders are verboten. And it is one method malware are introduced to PCs.

When I click on update, which I don't do by choice, prices are downloaded. But the update fails because of Norton. Norton quarantines the coollector.updater.exe that shows up in the temporary folder. When I submitted, restored and clicked on the file, nothing happened. When I click on prices, there aren't any. The message box indicates the program and database are already up-to-date and the prices were downloaded.

What is coollector.updater.exe?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:46 pm 

gigagiggles wrote:
I'm curious. What is coollector.updater.exe?

It's an installer. To be exact, a silent NSIS installer, silent meaning that it doesn't display any message as it doesn't require any interaction with the user.

gigagiggles wrote:
It's not an executable.

It is. Why do you say it's not ?

gigagiggles wrote:
Executables showing up in temporary folders are verboten.

It shows in "My Documents\Coollector\Tmp", isn't it ? It's Coollector who created this "Tmp" folder. It's not a system temporary folder.

If you ask in relation with the Norton issue, FYI the program has worked like that for years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:09 pm 

It's been awhile since I last saw prices while running the program. Where should I look for it? What settings are needed?

I searched Harry Potter and "wished" all entries that showed. Clicking "prices" at the top brought up nothing. "Wished" had the Harry Potter's, but no prices.

Remember that updater.exe was quarantined and restored and clicked on. Subsequent attempts to "update" were no longer quarantined, but removed. There is no option to restore.

Is "update" the only way to get the "prices"? Seems like a two-stage process. Although the message box say prices are being downloaded, it would seem the installer, coollector.updater.exe, is being downloaded. When completed, it would get executed from within the temporary folder to then get the prices from the internet. That's when Norton stepped in and questioned the process.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:08 pm 

gigagiggles wrote:
It's been awhile since I last saw prices while running the program.

It seems like I didn't understand the situation correctly. So, the Norton problem is old, and it happens only when you update ? I thought that it was a new problem, and that it concerned the installation of the program itself...

gigagiggles wrote:
Is "update" the only way to get the "prices"?

Yes.

gigagiggles wrote:
Seems like a two-stage process. Although the message box say prices are being downloaded, it would seem the installer, coollector.updater.exe, is being downloaded. When completed, it would get executed from within the temporary folder to then get the prices from the internet.

"Prices are being downloaded" => the installer (which contains the new price database) is downloaded from the internet, and stored in the "Tmp" folder.

Once downloaded, the installer is executed => it will unzip the price database to its final destination, a destination which is not the same for all the Windows versions.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:23 pm 

And the program update ? Does it work with Norton ? Is it just a problem with prices ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:42 pm 

There is no problem with the download file, coollector_setup.exe. There were problems many versions ago. The download file is my normal way of updating the program and database. Since I'm more interested in the accumulated database info than the prices of available dvd's and such, I don't normally click update.

After reading urko's lament, I became curious and adventurous. The first time, I was able to restore coollectorupdater.exe from quarantine and run it. But "nothing" happened. Since then, the file is no longer available to restore. Norton removed it each and every time I ran update.

In relentless and reckless pursuit :-), I excluded from Norton scan the folder the file is downloaded to. The attached image shows the result.

Since the (dynamic) prices are the only updates of importance, then there is a major problem from A-update to Z-prices.

Attachments:
pricesupdater.PNG
pricesupdater.PNG [ 319.98 KiB | Viewed 8239 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:55 am 

gigagiggles wrote:
The first time, I was able to restore coollectorupdater.exe from quarantine and run it. But "nothing" happened.

It's normal, you had to pass it parameters.

gigagiggles wrote:
Since the (dynamic) prices are the only updates of importance, then there is a major problem

Please replace your Coollector.exe with this one:

http://www.coollector.com/Coollector.exe

and tell me if Norton still prevents the update.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:23 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Please replace your Coollector.exe with this one:
http://www.coollector.com/Coollector.exe
and tell me if Norton still prevents the update.

Usually I would run a test just to help and to satisfy my curiosity. This time however you and Gigagiggles can test on your own.

I just don't think my laptop would ever recover its pride if I allowed it to be violated by Norton. :(
I know i would be the one to blame, but she still would never be the same in my eyes :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:30 am 

:rofl:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:30 pm 

Without excluding the folder or the file from Norton scan, the newer coollector.exe was able to update the prices. I've attached three (maximum per post) png's showing the prices in the third column from the left. One of the png's (loaned) shows an empty list despite the large number it supposedly has. Bug?

Attachments:
loaned.PNG
loaned.PNG [ 72.7 KiB | Viewed 8221 times ]
wished.PNG
wished.PNG [ 154.75 KiB | Viewed 8221 times ]
titles.PNG
titles.PNG [ 211.67 KiB | Viewed 8221 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:37 pm 

The fourth png from the same session shows the prices list. The list has a different presentation, whose only adjustment is the size of the thumbnails. As shown, that is the smallest thumbnail size, unlike the other lists. Furthermore, the adjustment interface to the right are either greyed out or unresponsive. Bugs?

Attachments:
prices.PNG
prices.PNG [ 350.26 KiB | Viewed 8221 times ]