It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Endless loops
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:34 am 

Recent acquisitions like Hunger Games and Chronicle aren't getting the cover posters. They remain in endless loops. Also, while examining Chronicle, I encountered the quirk as shown in the three snippets.

When I first ran the program and it opened to a different title, the actors' thumbnails defaulted to not found. When I selected a different title, the searches no longer defaulted to not found but remained in endless loops. With Chronicle, something strange happened. Halfway down the list of actors, the search stopped (cool2) and/or the interface didn't show the endless loops. As I continued towards the bottom of the list, the endless loops reappeared (cool3).

The software that interface my PC with the internet showed plenty of download activity while the endless loops are showing.

A month or so ago when this was happening, I thought outside the box and browsed the images in the public documents\Coollector folders. I found about 20 or so corrupted thumbnails (out of 90,000+). After removing them, the endless loops stopped.

This time, I only found a handful, including Hunger Games. After removing the corrupted thumbnail, I was able to get that cover poster. But the endless loops returned very soon after opening the program.

I'm currently running a program that automates opening these thumbnails (slideshow) and logging any failed ones. I hope I'm not barking up the wrong tree.

Attachments:
cool3.PNG
cool3.PNG [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 8050 times ]
cool2.PNG
cool2.PNG [ 1.13 MiB | Viewed 8050 times ]
cool1.PNG
cool1.PNG [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 8050 times ]

Post subject: Re: Endless loops
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:00 am 

gigagiggles wrote:
Recent acquisitions like Hunger Games and Chronicle aren't getting the cover posters.

Those movies work fine on my computer.

gigagiggles wrote:
They remain in endless loops.

This has happened to me yesterday. I have restarted Coollector, and the problem was solved. I had no clue what else I could do.

gigagiggles wrote:
The software that interface my PC with the internet showed plenty of download activity while the endless loops are showing.

What software is it ? Do you have some logs to show me ?

gigagiggles wrote:
A month or so ago when this was happening, I thought outside the box and browsed the images in the public documents\Coollector folders. I found about 20 or so corrupted thumbnails (out of 90,000+). After removing them, the endless loops stopped.

This time, I only found a handful, including Hunger Games. After removing the corrupted thumbnail, I was able to get that cover poster. But the endless loops returned very soon after opening the program.

I'm currently running a program that automates opening these thumbnails (slideshow) and logging any failed ones.

That's very interesting. Have you kept some evidences that you can show me ? If I understand the nature of the problem, I might be able to inspect my code and fix the bug.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:21 am 

gigagiggles wrote:
They remain in endless loops.

An internet connection problem can have this effect.

Indeed, when Coollector downloads a picture, it asks the server what's the size of the file, it downloads the file, and checks that the received file has the right size. If it's wrong, Coollector deletes the file and tries to download it again.

That could explain the infinite loop.

gigagiggles wrote:
I found about 20 or so corrupted thumbnails

But I don't understand why the corrupted thumbnails are still on your disk.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:48 am 

I've checked my code closely, and I couldn't find something wrong.

gigagiggles wrote:

Are you sure that this software isn't creating problems ?

I've recently had the case of a user that had download problems because he was using the program "speed download":

http://www.coollector.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=973

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:26 am 

Well, the problem has happened to me once again.

I'm now fully convinced that there's a bug. Thank you very much for your feedback !

I will do my best to understand the issue.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:29 am 

On a side note, could you please send me the skin that you've created. I can see several defects that I'd like to analyze.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:33 pm 

This morning, I re-opened the Coollector program to Chronicle. With the browser connected only to this forum, my VZAcces shows the activities of the downloads of Coollector with the endless loops. Notice also that I had tried to switch to another title, Bonnie and Clyde. When nothing happened, I captured the snippet (thismorning.png). Moments later, I was able to switch to another, different title. After switching to a few different titles, I returened to Chronicle to a partial poster (chronicle.png). I had previously removed a partial Bonnie and Clyde poster. I was surprised to find it again last night.

Side note: I couldn't attach the skin.dat file. Does this mean the private message route?

Edit: I just tried the private message route. I couldn't attach the skin.dat file.

Attachments:
chronicle.PNG
chronicle.PNG [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 8038 times ]
thismorning.PNG
thismorning.PNG [ 994.35 KiB | Viewed 8038 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:48 pm 

gigagiggles wrote:
I couldn't attach the skin.dat file.

I need more that skin.dat, I need the entire folder. Please zip it, and it should be fine (.dat is a forbidden extension for attachments, but .zip is allowed).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:52 pm 

gigagiggles wrote:
This morning, I re-opened the Coollector program to Chronicle. With the browser connected only to this forum, my VZAcces shows the activities of the downloads of Coollector with the endless loops.

I tried something, but I'm not 100% sure that it's the solution.

Please replace your current Coollector.exe with this one:

http://www.coollector.com/Coollector.exe

and let me know if you have the problem again (I'll do the same on my side).

Thank you very much for your help !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:47 pm 

I tried the new executable and had the same result of endless loops.

"Indeed, when Coollector downloads a picture, it asks the server what's the size of the file, it downloads the file, and checks that the received file has the right size. If it's wrong, Coollector deletes the file and tries to download it again."

"But I don't understand why the corrupted thumbnails are still on your disk."

Later tonight, I'll try and find the partial Chronicle poster file and move it elsewhere. Also, I was able to replicate the screenshots of Chronicle where the middle portion of actors do not generate any search with endless loops.

Attachments:
My Skin #2.zip [685.42 KiB]
Downloaded 309 times

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:41 pm 

gigagiggles wrote:
I tried the new executable and had the same result of endless loops.

:(

That was fast ! Do you have a way to reproduce systematically ? On my side, it happened 2 times in 2 days, and now I can't make it happen again.

gigagiggles wrote:
Later tonight, I'll try and find the partial Chronicle poster file and move it elsewhere.

To locate it, you make control + click on the picture, as if you wanted to contribute a picture.

Now, in the clipboard you have the value "Chronicle (2012) [0083317].jpg".

The Id of the file is "0083317" and you'll find it inside the folder "Coollector\Images\MoviesDpt\Items\17\" (folder "17 " as the 2 last digits of the ID).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:28 am 

Most of the thumbnails are from the 8 .rar files. So I browsed by sorting from newest to oldest. From the 400 folders, I found 5 thumbnails that can be displayed but not opened. I've included them in a zip file. Two of them are Chronicle, with 01948, in Medias folders 34 and 36. From the screenshots, the top cover poster is the 0083317 in items 17 folder. The existing video poster is the corrupted one.

I had moved the corrupted Chronicle jpgs. When I ran Coollector the first time tonight, I had the endless loops and no existing video poster. After switching to other titles and their endless loops, I closed the program. When I ran it again and switched to Chronicle, the corrupted thumbnail for the existing video reappeared. This time, there was only one copy, in medias folder 36.

Additional symptoms tonight: below actor Rudi Malcolm, Luke Tyler did not have a portrait until the second run tonight. But it was corrupted. When I ran it a third time, Luke Tyler's pic was gone and Adrian Collins' corrupted pic appeared directly below it.

I don't know if this is a red herring or a big elephant, but I use Norton Internet Security and Coollector is excluded from scan so it doesn't get shut down and quarantined.

Attachments:
corruptthumbnails.zip [20.14 KiB]
Downloaded 286 times

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:47 am 

gigagiggles wrote:
When I ran Coollector the first time tonight, I had the endless loops and no existing video poster. After switching to other titles and their endless loops, I closed the program.

Are you saying that you always get the enless loop ? That would be very interesting, because my problem is that I have a very hard time trying to trigger the bug.

gigagiggles wrote:
When I ran it again and switched to Chronicle, the corrupted thumbnail for the existing video reappeared.

The corrupted thumbnail was displayed by Coollector ? That seems impossible with the latest version of Coollector.

Also, your skin has no problem on my computer. It's like you're not running the same version of the program as me, except that I have made you replace the Coollector.exe.

I'm completely lost. Do the title bar really say "Coollector Movie Database v3.22.7" ?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:16 pm 

I ran the program this morning (using the linked executable) and chronicle2.png is the snapshot. This includes the corrupted piture of Adrian Collins.

I also captured a shot of XNView and the display of the corrupted Chronicle thumbnail as folder36.png.

I then moved the picture out and re-ran Coollector. The only change this time was a corrupted picture of Luke Tyler was added (actors.png) while the endless loops continued for the existing video. The strange thing was, folder36 had a "new" and different corrupted thumbnail as shown in folder36redux.png.

When I removed it again and ran the program again, I had the same result from Coollector, but XNView was showing a non-picture thumbnail in either folder 34 or folder 36, 0194834.jpg or 0194836.jpg. As I switched between the folders, the file would appear or disappear. Eventually, neither remained. But the endless loops continued while the download meter continued to climb.

A few months ago when the endless loops started happening, I did a clean install. I backed up all the jpgs and started from scratch. That stopped the endless loops. I then moved the jpgs back into place and whenever I used the program, it seemd to work fine. When it happened again, I scoured the folders for corrupt jpgs and that trick seemed to work, for a bit.

But if the servers keep throwing corrupt jpgs or the files are somehow not getting through intact, Coollector becomes an offline movie database program.

Attachments:
actors.PNG
actors.PNG [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 8023 times ]
folder36.PNG
folder36.PNG [ 881.64 KiB | Viewed 8023 times ]
chronicle2.PNG
chronicle2.PNG [ 2.14 MiB | Viewed 8023 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:19 pm 

Folder36redux showed the "new" and differently corrupted jpg.

Attachments:
folder36redux.PNG
folder36redux.PNG [ 863.68 KiB | Viewed 8023 times ]