It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Single pane mode
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:54 am 

I just updated. No price update when prices aren't shown is really appreciated. :D

---

I have a bit of a problem in single pane mode though. I usually use the arrow keys to navigate the grid. Since pane switching once in single pane mode does not require holding the shift key i keep switching panes or going to the normal double pane mode when i instinctively press up down, left or right. To remedy that i tried navigating by clicking movies at the top or bottom of the grid. You can guess how that turned out. :worried:

---

I think things would be more intuitive if you stuck to arrow keys for grid navigation and Shift+Arrow Keys for pane navigation.

Post subject: Re: Single pane mode
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:47 am 

kakashi wrote:
No price update when prices aren't shown is really appreciated. :D

Glad you like it. I'm sorry that I didn't think about it earlier, took me only half an hour to implement...

kakashi wrote:
I have a bit of a problem in single pane mode though.

I'm okay to brainstorm that subject with you. Here's my point of view...

When I've started experimenting with the single-pane mode, the first thing that I've noticed is that when you select a movie from the grid, you expect to see the movie panel appear. If you select a movie, and nothing happens, and you have to make appear the movie panel, that's frustrating and looks like a bug.

If navigating the grid with the keyboard is a great feature of the dual-pane mode, unfortunately it can't work with the single-pane mode. With the single-pane mode, you have to navigate the grid with the scrollbar or with your mouse wheel, and select a movie by clicking it. With the single-pane mode, you can't navigate the grid with your keyboard, because it'd be strange when you select a grid cell if the movie information isn't displayed.

kakashi wrote:
I think things would be more intuitive if you stuck to arrow keys for grid navigation and Shift+Arrow Keys for pane navigation.

In my opinion, navigating the grids with the arrow keys doesn't make sense when you're in single-pane mode. I tried it, and it looks very weird, because as I said, when you select something, you expect it to be shown. There are other ways to navigate a grid (scrollbar, mouse wheel). Most users doesn't use the keyboard arrows at all, only the mouse, and they won't even notice.

Each mode has its pros and cons. The dual-pane mode is great to navigate with the keyboard, but it shows less information. The single-pane mode uses all the screen, but you can't navigate a grid with the arrows.

In the end, the single-pane mode is a very standard type of interface, while the dual-pane mode was a specificity of Coollector which allowed great things like the keyboard navigation. Now you have the choice: using one interface, or the other, or switching between the two. But when you use the single-pane mode, you can't expect it to have all the functionalities of the dual-pane mode :sorry:

That's my conclusion. I'll be happy to hear your opinion.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:25 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Glad you like it. I'm sorry that I didn't think about it earlier, took me only half an hour to implement...

:shock:

(cool) Hector wrote:
That's my conclusion. I'll be happy to hear your opinion.

I'm a very stubborn guy but i must admit i see your point. According to what you say I probably wouldn't even have noticed if i wasn't stuck using my touchpad. That means that there's no scrollwheel and scrollbars are a nuisance on a high ppi screen.

Damn i miss my mouse.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:50 am 

kakashi wrote:
According to what you say I probably wouldn't even have noticed if i wasn't stuck using my touchpad. That means that there's no scrollwheel

All the touchpads I've seen can emulate the mouse scrollwheel, whether with 2 fingers gesture, or by touching precisely the touchpad border. Are you sure you have properly installed and configured your touchpad drivers?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:55 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
All the touchpads I've seen can emulate the mouse scrollwheel, whether with 2 fingers gesture, or by touching precisely the touchpad border. Are you sure you have properly installed and configured your touchpad drivers?

:lol: Looong story... :rofl:

That didn't even cross my mind.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:06 pm 

kakashi wrote:
:lol: Looong story... :rofl:

I'm afraid I don't understand. Can you make it short, please?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:03 pm 

I have a proposition that you might like (personally, I like it):

Same1: the left and right arrows would still switch between the left and right panels.
Same2: you'd still have to click a grid cell to select it.

Different1: the up and down arrows would scroll the grid, but without selecting any cell.
Different2: you could also scroll the grid with the keys PAGE UP, PAGE DOWN, START and END.
Different3: you'd have to press CONTROL to go back to the dual-pane mode (you won't go back accidentally anymore).

What do you think?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:48 pm 

It seems easier to use. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:31 pm 

kakashi wrote:
It seems easier to use. :)

Then it's validated :D

Of course, I remain open to any suggestion.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:15 pm 

Kakashi, thank you very much for helping me improve the program!

Here's a version implementing what we talked about:

http://www.coollector.com/Coollector.exe

This version also fixes several bugs (the picture zoom sometimes appeared when it shouldn't + the number of columns sometimes increased or decreased after the program was restarted + if you used the scrollbar to scroll down to the last value of a filter, the last value disappeared as soon as you released the mouse).

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:54 pm 

Yet another version:

http://www.coollector.com/Coollector.exe

It's now possible to go to the settings and disable the animated pane transitions.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:45 pm 

I'm playing with it right now and with one hand on my touchpad and one on the arrow keys it feels like MAGIC. :D

---

One thing I noticed is that when I hold the left or right arrow key for more than about 500-600 milliseconds the panes switch twice and I end up right where i started from. I don't know if this Is intentional but I mention it because the pane animations tend to get choppy when this happens.

This also occurs when i tap the arrow keys quickly. It took almost a minute for the panes to stop moving after i quickly tapped the left arrow key about 60 times.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:59 pm 

kakashi wrote:
it feels like MAGIC. :D

Me too, I like it a lot better.

kakashi wrote:
One thing I noticed is that when I hold the left or right arrow key for more than about 500-600 milliseconds the panes switch twice and I end up right where i started from.

Yes, it's the keyboard auto-repeat. I can't disable it, but I can cancel its effect.

kakashi wrote:
This also occurs when i tap the arrow keys quickly. It took almost a minute for the panes to stop moving after i quickly tapped the left arrow key about 60 times.

60 times... you really pushed the system :roll:

I will disable the auto-repeat, but I won't disable the intentional inputs. If you press the key 60 times, you'll get what you asked for...

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:32 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
60 times... you really pushed the system :roll:

I will disable the auto-repeat, but I won't disable the intentional inputs. If you press the key 60 times, you'll get what you asked for...

When i notice peculiar things i usually find that larger data sets make patterns etc. easier to recognize. I like to know that I'm sure of what I'm seeing. :)

Old habits die hard...

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:34 pm 

kakashi wrote:
When i notice peculiar things i usually find that larger data sets make patterns etc. easier to recognize.

Have you tried 120 times? I wonder what the result might be :P