It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:10 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: about statistics
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:15 pm
Posts: 155
Location: Cluj-Napoca
something which i thought about and i don't really can understand it.
on imdb statistics there are shown 2,571,007 titles (it's a lot; but afterall not so many) and growing every day (but especially with new movies, all oldest are already exist (except of course foreign languages)). Our goal is to have the very same database but with added functionality (I assume that due to the fact that we can request only movies with imdb numbers). I'm right till here? But till now we only managed to "register" about 107,000 movies. When i say "WE", i consider myself too a part of this project since i use it it.

I don't have programing skills, but i had a little project where i collected some data from different sites and excell documents; and the guy who helped me to do this, told me that this process can be automatized. And a routine (macro, whatever) can register these data in my database without my interference. I only need to supervise it later when i correct aspects which i don't like ...

A remark on your help page indicate something similar, when you don't recommend to edit any request post due to the fact that the "robot" maybe already processed it.

now the BIG question: since you only process movies with imdb numbers, all imdb movies follows the same structure http://www.imdb.com/title/ttxxxxxxx/, why you not simply scan the whole imdb and offers a full database? why we need 213 pages of requests? when we can simply have only requests with covers, data corrections ... in a much smaller amount

what i miss; what i don't consider above?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: about statistics
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 am
Posts: 5863
Nevergreen wrote:
on imdb statistics there are shown 2,571,007 titles

I didn't know that such a page existed, but I made a Google search and I could find it:

http://www.imdb.com/stats

As you can see, 3/5 are TV episodes (we don't list TV episodes). There are also a lot of porn movies, video games, and tons of movies that you'll never have a chance to watch because there's no video of them and they never show on TV...


Nevergreen wrote:
Our goal is to have the very same database but with added functionality (I assume that due to the fact that we can request only movies with imdb numbers). I'm right till here?

Sorry, but you're wrong, this is not our goal. We don't try to have a database that is as exhaustive as the IMDb, we just try to have a database that is good enough.

It'd be foolish to try to replace the IMDb, and it'll never happen. We think that Coollector can be a very useful program as a companion to the IMDb website, not as a replacement. There are many functionalities that you'll only find on the IMDb website (discussion forums, movie goofs, persons biographies, etc, etc...). That's why we provide a direct link to the IMDb pages: because the IMDb will always be an invaluable resource for the movie lovers.


Nevergreen wrote:
why you not simply scan the whole imdb and offers a full database?

Why? Because it's illegal! Their database is their property. They even sell it, it's very expensive to license a fraction of it, and they don't license the whole database to anyone:

http://www.imdb.com/help/licensing/contact


Nevergreen wrote:
A remark on your help page indicate something similar, when you don't recommend to edit any request post due to the fact that the "robot" maybe already processed it.

Yes, I have the programming skills to crawl a website, it's very easy.


Nevergreen wrote:
But till now we only managed to "register" about 107,000 movies.

It's because we're building our own database, by collecting data from as many sources as we can find, not just from the IMDb. It takes a lot of work, and I can only add several hundred movies each week. It took me many years to build this database, and believe me, 107,000 movies is HUGE!


Nevergreen wrote:
why we need 213 pages of requests?

I add movies as they're released in theaters, or in video, or they're shown on TV, etc... To make sure that I didn't forget to add a movie that a user needs, I've allowed movie requests. But even 213 pages of movie requests is only a small fraction of all the movies that I've added. In the past, a couple of times I've had the case of users who browsed the IMDb and systematically requested the movies that were not in our database. As you can imagine, I've had to calm them down, because they requested movies that nobody really cared about (even themselves), and while I added those useless movies I could not add much more popular movies...

Recently, programming has taken a lot of my time, and you might have noticed that I'm a bit late with adding popular movies. I should catch up in the following weeks, and to make sure you can request the movies that you're missing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: about statistics
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:15 pm
Posts: 155
Location: Cluj-Napoca
i don't want to force you for anything, i don't want to bother as well; i just thought about and presented my thoughts,
(cool) Hector wrote:
As you can see, 3/5 are TV episodes (we don't list TV episodes). There are also a lot of porn movies, video games, and tons of movies that you'll never have a chance to watch because there's no video of them and they never show on TV...

all movies are labeled, categorized ... (TV episodes, porn, games ....it not interest me also) but as far as they are "labeled" they can be filtered very easy and you can keep just the essentials.



Nevergreen wrote:
Our goal is to have the very same database but with added functionality (I assume that due to the fact that we can request only movies with imdb numbers). I'm right till here?

(cool) Hector wrote:
Sorry, but you're wrong, this is not our goal. We don't try to have a database that is exhaustive, we just try to have a database that is good enough.

It'd be foolish to try to replace the IMDb, and it'll never happen. We think that Coollector can be a very useful program as a companion to the IMDb website, not as a replacement. There are many functionalities that you'll only find on the IMDb website (discussion forums, movie goofs, persons biographies, etc, etc...). That's why we provide a direct link to the IMDb pages: because the IMDb will always be an invaluable resource for the movie lovers.

Nevergreen wrote:
why you not simply scan the whole imdb and offers a full database?

(cool) Hector wrote:
Why? Because it's illegal! Their database is their property. They even sell it, it's very expensive, and they don't license the whole database to anyone:

http://www.imdb.com/help/licensing/contact


i don't wanna quarrel on this, you are perfectly right and is very good statement for officials ( i don't care and don't wanna know whats going on in "backstage".
as regarding funtionality, this is an app. not a forum/blog/whatever ... its doing it's great job, nothing more and it's do it even offline.

Nevergreen wrote:
But till now we only managed to "register" about 107,000 movies.

(cool) Hector wrote:
It's because we're building our own database, by collecting data from as many sources as we can find, not just from the IMDb. It takes a lot of work, and I can only add several hundred movies each week. It took me many years to build this database, and believe me, 107,000 movies is HUGE!

i'm aware what amount of work needed for such a thing and i'm appreciate your persistence, knowing the fact that this app came out few years ago and it's still alive.

Nevergreen wrote:
why we need 213 pages of requests?

(cool) Hector wrote:
I add movies as they're released in theaters, or in video, or they're shown on TV, etc... To make sure that I didn't forget to add a movie that a user needs, I've allowed movie requests. But even 213 pages of movie requests is only a small fraction of all the movies that I've added. In the past, a couple of times I've had the case of users who browsed the IMDb and systematically requested the movies that were not in our database. As you can imagine, I've had to calm them down, because they requested movies that nobody really cared about (even themselves), and while I added those useless movies I could not add much more popular movies...

owning +3000 movies, i'll probably request few that is in this "useless" category, but due to the fact that i own it, ill want to have it in "my" list

(cool) Hector wrote:
Recently, programming has taken a lot of my time, and you might have noticed that I'm a bit late with adding popular movies. I should catch up in the following weeks, and to make sure you can request the movies that you're missing.

time it's not a problem as long we know that you are alive and not forgotten us.

PS. somehow i have the feelings that this kind of discussions are better fit to private messages, so, you are free to delete/hide it and continue on private messages.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: about statistics
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 am
Posts: 5863
Nevergreen wrote:
owning +3000 movies, i'll probably request few that is in this "useless" category, but due to the fact that i own it, ill want to have it in "my" list

Absolutely, as long as 1 user needs a movie, this movie isn't considered as "useless" and it's my duty to add it.


Nevergreen wrote:
time it's not a problem as long we know that you are alive and not forgotten us.

I work full time on Coollector. I've already invested so much time and effort in it, I'll stop only when I'm dead.


Nevergreen wrote:
PS. somehow i have the feelings that this kind of discussions are better fit to private messages, so, you are free to delete/hide it and continue on private messages.

Not at all, I'm sure that other users will find this thread interesting.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: about statistics
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 am
Posts: 5863
Nevergreen wrote:
Our goal is to have the very same database but with added functionality (I assume that due to the fact that we can request only movies with imdb numbers).

The IMDb number is just an efficient way to make sure we're talking about the same movie.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2017 phpBB Group