It is currently Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:02 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: DVD Covers
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 am
Posts: 6893
bargeo wrote:
Ok, I think I understand where you are coming from. I will need to recalibrate my ancient thinking.

Don't you agree that a DVD is a video and calling it a movie is an abuse of language?

You can watch a movie on DVD but DVD doesn't equal movie. You can watch a movie in theater but theather doesn't equal movie even though we say "going to the movies".

The video is the physical object and the movie is the content. Same with a book and a novel, a CD and a song.

DVD is a video format, same as BLU-RAY or VHS. In other words, DVD, BLU-RAY and VHS are all videos, only with different formats.

Don't you rent a DVD from a Video rental shop?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_rental_shop
"A video rental shop/store is a physical retail business that rents home videos"


bargeo wrote:
Anyway, MPAA rating does not appear to work for me. I tried selecting 'G' in the filters, but Aladdin won't show. I can't see where that field is in the edit section either to ensure it has a value.

As I said, the MPAA rating is an attribute of the movies, not the videos. It's displayed below the movie title, before the movie genres.

About Aladdin, it's weird that the rating is missing, I think you've found a bug, thank you very much!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DVD Covers
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 am
Posts: 6893
bargeo wrote:
I consider a DVD to be a movie, and a VHS / Beta to be a Video.

I may know where the confusion comes from... Video as the abbreviation of videotape.

I suppose that in your young years you've witnessed the appearance of the first video stores, with VHS being the first home video format. But because it was the only format at that time (apart from reels), the words video and videotape (video for short) got all mixed up in your head and you're certainly not the only one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DVD Covers
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:04 pm
Posts: 66
I just wanted to work out your interpretations on things so I could follow what you are saying to me.
I am 67 and Video Stores in my youth were just that. All they had were Video Tapes in either VHS or Beta format. So the word Video triggers that association with VHS and movie just as theatre triggers movie, so based on what you are saying I don't think we are really on different pages.
As you said, and I agree, DVD, Tape, 35mm film, Hard Disk, web site, etc are nothing more than a 'Storage Media'. This media facilitates storage of files / data (0's & 1's for electronic or digital data), whether this be image emulsion frame by frame, Vobs, MP3, etc. All need a program / device to interpret the data and show what the original creators intended. In the cases we are discussing, this is generally pictures, and in my day moving pictures were called 'movies'. The use of the word video came later with the advent of VHS / Beta (Video Stores) to hold electronic data / pictures. All I was saying was that smaller chunks of movies with the same theme, to me, are movie episodes, whether something like MASH or even Star Wars, Episode 1, etc. Anyway, no need for such discussions here.
I accept your interpretation of "video is the physical object and the movie is the content". I will attempt to apply that thinking when interpreting how to use your program.
(cool) Hector wrote:
bargeo wrote:
Ok, I think I understand where you are coming from. I will need to recalibrate my ancient thinking.

Don't you agree that a DVD is a video and calling it a movie is an abuse of language?

You can watch a movie on DVD but DVD doesn't equal movie. You can watch a movie in theater but theather doesn't equal movie even though we say "going to the movies".

The video is the physical object and the movie is the content. Same with a book and a novel, a CD and a song.

DVD is a video format, same as BLU-RAY or VHS. In other words, DVD, BLU-RAY and VHS are all videos, only with different formats.

Don't you rent a DVD from a Video rental shop?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_rental_shop
"A video rental shop/store is a physical retail business that rents home videos"


I loaded two DVD's as owned to test what I should do and to use the program before I put too many titles in. Both did not filter on the MPAA. The other one was Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, barcode 9325336102626
bargeo wrote:
Anyway, MPAA rating does not appear to work for me. I tried selecting 'G' in the filters, but Aladdin won't show. I can't see where that field is in the edit section either to ensure it has a value.

As I said, the MPAA rating is an attribute of the movies, not the videos. It's displayed below the movie title, before the movie genres.

About Aladdin, it's weird that the rating is missing, I think you've found a bug, thank you very much!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DVD Covers
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 am
Posts: 6893
bargeo wrote:
I accept your interpretation of "video is the physical object and the movie is the content".

Great, that way it should make sense when I say that the movie poster is the same for everyone and doesn't change even after you've added an owned video.

Are we ok with the picture problem that you described?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DVD Covers
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:04 pm
Posts: 66
My picture problem? If you are talking about the Art Work on my owned pictures, yes I can live with that. If talking about the ratings, I can work around that, but means a lot of work and data entry, not fun as none of those seem to show in the Australian versions (Aladdin, Robin Hood), probably because we have a different rating system. I have not reported the missing Aladdin video in your requested database, as you already know about that. I will start to load up other media ('videos') when time permits and see how it all goes.

Thank you for your perseverance :sorry:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DVD Covers
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 am
Posts: 6893
bargeo wrote:
about the ratings, I can work around that

Aladdin should have a rating. It's a bug that affects thousands of other movies and will be fixed with the next version.


bargeo wrote:
I have not reported the missing Aladdin video in your requested database, as you already know about that.

What I know is too vague for me to add it. I track australian DVD releases, but this one I have missed.

Please use the dedicated forum thread to request its addition and provide its barcode:
https://www.coollector.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2273


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DVD Covers
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:04 pm
Posts: 66
Ok, I will do that when I get a moment. It was all in the pictures I attached in this thread.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DVD Covers
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:04 pm
Posts: 66
Oh crap...

Ok where do I get this information from? :sos:

UPC/EAN on first line, then IMDb Id on second line!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DVD Covers
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 am
Posts: 6893
bargeo wrote:
Ok, I will do that when I get a moment. It was all in the pictures I attached in this thread.

If the barcode is 93985113662031, sorry I can't find it anywhere, don't bother to request it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DVD Covers
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 am
Posts: 6893
bargeo wrote:
Ok where do I get this information from? :sos:

UPC/EAN on first line, then IMDb Id on second line!!

UPC/EAN is the barcode, but if the barcode is 93985113662031, sorry I couldn't find it anywhere.

The IMDb Id of Aladdin is tt0103639 because the IMDb page is https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103639/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DVD Covers
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:04 pm
Posts: 66
Firstly the barcode for my Aladdin 2-disk DVD was actually 9398511662031

Secondly I tried a search for another DVD that had a barcode of 9325336102626 (Robin Hood Prince of Thieves Extended Version) that was in your database on the IMDb link in search bar and that was not found either. How then do I get this 'tt' you want? I can see it in the address bar for Aladdin from the link you sent but putting in the barcode for Robin Hood it said no results.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DVD Covers
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 am
Posts: 6893
bargeo wrote:
the barcode for my Aladdin 2-disk DVD was actually 9398511662031

Thanks, my mistake.


bargeo wrote:
I tried a search for another DVD that had a barcode of 9325336102626 (Robin Hood Prince of Thieves Extended Version) that was in your database on the IMDb link in search bar and that was not found either.

Another DVD that I need to add... It's an old DVD and I've missed it.


bargeo wrote:
How then do I get this 'tt' you want?

Either you go to the IMDb and search the movie, either you search the movie from Coollector then click the IMDb icon to get to the IMDb page.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DVD Covers
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:04 pm
Posts: 66
Ok, thanks Hector :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DVD Covers
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 am
Posts: 6893
bargeo wrote:
Secondly I tried a search for another DVD that had a barcode of 9325336102626 (Robin Hood Prince of Thieves Extended Version) that was in your database on the IMDb link in search bar and that was not found either.

Hey! I trusted your word but after checking the barcode I found out that this DVD is already in the database.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DVD Covers
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:04 pm
Posts: 66
(cool) Hector wrote:
bargeo wrote:
Secondly I tried a search for another DVD that had a barcode of 9325336102626 (Robin Hood Prince of Thieves Extended Version) that was in your database on the IMDb link in search bar and that was not found either.

Hey! I trusted your word but after checking the barcode I found out that this DVD is already in the database.


It would seem I chose my grammar poorly. My fault sorry. Let me restate this as:
I tried a search for another DVD that had a barcode of 9325336102626 (Robin Hood Prince of Thieves Extended Version) on the IMDb link in their search bar. Searching the IMDb database with that barcode was not found that way either, even though that barcode is in your database.

While my original words were: "I tried a search for another DVD that had a barcode of 9325336102626 (Robin Hood Prince of Thieves Extended Version) that was in your database on the IMDb link in search bar and that was not found either." :sorry: re-reading, very poor expression by me. Again very sorry for any inconvenience.

You then advised that I could get to it from within your program. My issue is that it seems that searching the IMDb database by barcode won't show anything and, at least to me, won't prove anything. so not sure if the tt I may eventually get to will even be useful if I get one at all.

Anyway, very sorry on the misunderstanding


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2021 phpBB Group