It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: SSD failed and there was my Coollector data (15+ year use)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:15 am 

Hi I know it's a longshot and I almost certainly won't retrieve it but think it's worth a try. Anyways I've been using coollector on my PCs for like 15+ years already I'm pretty sure. Been rating every movie I watch there after watching it, including also then voting it on iMDB.

Anyways had a sudden SSD failure last week out of nowhere. It was working fine, then just failed, and amongst a lot of valuable data I also lost all my coollector data. Now I want to ask was the data we had maybe sometimes stored online by any chance, at least when we had to update coollector?

I had organized wishlist there, rated over 2.5k movies etc... and I love the way coollector is to browse movie data, especially by years and popularity.

So anyways, is there way to retrieve data somehow? Was it ever by any chance stored on cloud or online? Even if I could receive it for an old date it would be great.

Post subject: Re: SSD failed and there was my Coollector data (15+ year us
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:53 am 

Sorry about your drive failure, unfortunately this kind of crap happens all the time, I've had a handful myself... I can't stress this enough, it's important to make backups. Believe it or not, I keep copies of my code in several different places to avoid that Coollector disappears someday after a disk crash or a fire.
8)

jakalama wrote:
Now I want to ask was the data we had maybe sometimes stored online by any chance, at least when we had to update coollector?

The app offers an online backup feature (menu Tools->Online backup & publish), but it's not automatic, and apparently you never used it.
https://www.coollector.com/help.html#online_backups

All your personal data is stored inside a small file named "MyCoollection.cool".
https://www.coollector.com/help.html#coollection

While you use the app, it creates frequent backups of that file, so your disk probably contained hundreds of .cool files.
https://www.coollector.com/help.html#backups

Are you sure your disk is completely unreadable? Even if it doesn't boot, have you tried reading it as an external drive? Hopefully it's just partially corrupted and even if a big chunk of what it contained is lost forever, there's still a great chance that you'll find some undamaged .cool files. If you do, you're saved, as they're very easy to transfer to your new setup.

Best of luck! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:20 am 

Hi thank you for your response. Yeah, unfortunately I was a fool that I haven't had my important data backed up. I genuinely had no idea SSD could just die out suddenly without any notice or with issues. I had an HDD fail once, but that was such a slow process of slowly dying out that I had plenty of time to back up anything I had on it and just get a new one. This SSD worked normally, and boom suddenly I got blue screen and it was all gone. Couldn't boot up PC at all nor was it in BIOS anymore.

It hurts losing so much valuable data, and Coollector one was kind of important to me. 15+ years of constant use after watching every movie. I mean at least I also have all movies I watched rated on iMDB also, so hopefully there's at least option to turn my imdb grades into ratings automatically?

And yeah, as for automatic backup I'm pretty sure I never pressed thing like that.

Quote:
Are you sure your disk is completely unreadable? Even if it doesn't boot, have you tried reading it as an external drive?

Yeah I think it is. Because it doesn't read it at all on BIOS. It's like it doesn't exist. And I brought it to local repair shop for diagnostics and guy there told me I won't be able to recover anything. I mean I can go for second opinion somewhere lol, this guy was in a hurry because I brought it at the end of the Friday shift last week, but still I think it's unrecoverable unfortunately.

Thanks for great answer btw, appreciate it. I will try in next few days or next weeks to try to recover something from SSD even though I think the chances are miniscule.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:51 pm 

jakalama wrote:
I brought it to local repair shop for diagnostics and guy there told me I won't be able to recover anything.

If the guy plugged it as an external disk and it couldn't be read at all, yes it's probably dead.

jakalama wrote:
And yeah, as for automatic backup I'm pretty sure I never pressed thing like that.

The automatic backups are automatic, you have nothing to press, but if your disk is dead, they died with it.

What could have saved you is the online backup feature.

jakalama wrote:
so hopefully there's at least option to turn my imdb grades into ratings automatically?
Use the menu "Tools->Import->Import from IMDb" ;)