It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 8:49 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Online backup not updating?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:05 pm 

Orclev wrote:
Just to let you know - same thing is happening again

Like with the last time, everything works fine when I try with my own coollection :worried:

As an experiment, I've renamed the folder that contains your data on the server. Please try again and tell me if it works.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:56 pm 

Now when i try it, there are no online backups showing when you click to view them (as you would expect); when i click on backup and publish, it still only takes a second before opening the website, but now is just a blank black page, with the tab title 'Page doesn't exist'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:06 pm 

Thank you, to be honest, we would have been very lucky if that test had been conclusive.

I've restored your old content, now we have to understand why your new content isn't uploaded.

Unfortunately it's very late where I live and I'm going to bed. Tomorrow if the problem still persist, we'll try something, I don't know yet what...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:43 pm 

No problem :D

Just a couple of data points that might or might not be relevant. I thought I would see if opening any of the local backup files would make a difference. Local backups are all continuing to generate as expected, I can see the files from the 3rd and 4th that are on the server, and all the later backup files up to today are there as well.

Opening a backup from a couple of days ago made no difference; clicking 'view' showed that same list of online backups (up to the file dated 4th), publish immediately opened the website and had the same list (data from the file dated 4th).

Next i opened the local copy of the latest backup showing online (the most recent 4th april file); now when i clicked view, it said there were no online backups, and when I published it appeared to take a little longer; and the online view that opened was the one from that date. I went back to my 'current' coollection file, and it showed the same behaviour as before I started experimenting - the 'view' list had all the same files up until the last one on the 4th, and the website had the 'watched' etc data from that date.

Then - I opened a local backup from a day earlier still (3rd of April); now when I clicked view, it again said that there were no online backups saved; publish appeared to take a little longer, and when the website opened it now had the 'watched' etc from that days file (3rd of April data). And now when I clicked on view, it showed one file as being saved online (with the 3rd of April date).

Then finally I opened up my 'current' file again. Now view showed all the files again up to the 4th; clicking 'publish' appeared to be instant rather than taking 2-3 seconds. But, the data on the website was now the data from the file dated the 3rd, not the 4th, even though I could see that the more recent files (from the 4th) were showing on the server.

Anyway - let me know if you want me to try anything else, and I will try it out tomorrow evening....

Thanks,

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 9:29 pm 

Sorry for the late reply, I'm busy updating the database.

By looking at the files stored on the server, I notice that you've been able to update recently your list of owned movies, rated movies, etc... (the lists that are displayed on the website).

You've also been able to recently upload 3 backups:

C_Users_TC_Documents_Coollector_Backups___TOWER_Media_MyCoollection.2024.03.28.200258.2024.04.30.221539.cool
C_Users_TC_Documents_Coollector_Backups___TOWER_Media_MyCoollection.2024.04.03.224852.2024.04.30.221432.cool
C_Users_TC_Documents_Coollector_Backups___TOWER_Media_MyCoollection.2024.04.04.225304.2024.04.30.221236.cool

The backups from April 4th that you talked about, they are from a different location on your computer:

__TOWER_Media_MyCoollection.2024.03.26.221126.cool
__TOWER_Media_MyCoollection.2024.03.28.200258.cool
__TOWER_Media_MyCoollection.2024.03.28.200709.cool
etc...

I can go even farther in november 2023 where you had backups from yet another location:

C_Users_TC_iCloudDrive_OldColl.2023.11.04.194936.cool
C_Users_TC_iCloudDrive_OldColl.2023.11.05.232235.cool
C_Users_TC_iCloudDrive_OldColl.2023.11.10.181313.cool
etc...

In conclusion, you seem to upload fine to the website, but there's an inconsistency in the location of the coollection file. In other words, sometimes you're using one coollection file on your computer, and sometimes you're using another coollection file from another location.

Does it help you figure out the issue?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 9:55 pm 

I'm not sure, I guess it depends on what the logic is in the client that decides if it will upload a backup, or what backup files it can see on the server?

with my current, main coollection file, when I view the online backups, I see 10 files, from 26/3 to 4/4, and publishing doesn't do anything. All those files are the 'TOWER' location (where my coollection file is stored)

When I used one of the local backup files from 4/4 or before, when I view the backups, I can't see any of the 10 files, and when I publish, it uploades the file, and then that file will show in the viewed list. That is the three recent uploads that you can see - these were published from old saved backups automatically created by the app.

The older files from a third location are from when my main cooolection file was stored in a different location.

It acts as though - the local coollection file has a date stored in it, the date when the file was saved. When you view the saved online backups in the client, it shows you the 10 most recent, but does not show them if they are more recent than the date stored in the collection file. And when you publish, there could be 2 possibilities. It only uploads if the date in the coollection file is not already uploaded; or if the date in the coolection file is more recent than a date in the online backups. Does anything like that happen in the 'view online backups' or 'publish online backup' code?

If there is a date in the coollection file, perhaps somehow this date can become 'stuck'? if the date in the file updated ok until 4th April, but then for some reason after that date it did not update anymore, that could explain it?.

Edited to add - no, this does not quite make sense. I guess in fact when you 'view' the backups, it only shows backups that match the current file location? so when the coollection file is, for example in the automatic backup location, it does not show anything, as there are no online backups that match this location.

But some date could be related to why it does not publish perhaps?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 10:19 pm 

I'm sorry, I'm really too busy with the database update, I'll get back to you when the update is released.

I've only had a quick look at your message...

Orclev wrote:
I guess it depends on what the logic is in the client that decides if it will upload a backup, or what backup files it can see on the server??

You can see the backups that correspond to the coollection file that the app is currently running.

As for the data that is displayed on the website, it's the data that has just been uploaded, and it seems to upload fine.

Orclev wrote:
But some date could be related to why it does not publish perhaps?

It does publish, the data that is displayed on the website was uploaded recently.

And those 3 backups were also uploaded recently:

C_Users_TC_Documents_Coollector_Backups___TOWER_Media_MyCoollection.2024.03.28.200258.2024.04.30.221539.cool
C_Users_TC_Documents_Coollector_Backups___TOWER_Media_MyCoollection.2024.04.03.224852.2024.04.30.221432.cool
C_Users_TC_Documents_Coollector_Backups___TOWER_Media_MyCoollection.2024.04.04.225304.2024.04.30.221236.cool

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 10:27 pm 

Ok, so I have tested a little more. I renamed the Coollection file (to testcool.cool), and used that file to open the app.

With this renamed coollection, i could not 'view' any saved online backups. When i clicked 'publish', it appeared to open the website immediately, and not take a second or two to upload the file. And clicking on 'view', still does not show any saved online backups. But - the website is now showing the most recent changes (e.g. video I watched yesterday). Has a more recent file in fact been uploaded?

More generally, does the view or the publish logic check filenames, or, some other data contained in the file, to decide if it will 'view' online backup files, or whether to 'publish?

Because, even more strangely, now when I use my original coollection file (same database, just the original filename MyCoollection.cool), and click on 'view', it says there are no online backups....

So - I guess maybe there is a workaround at least, temporarily renaming the coollection file can cause the website data to update? But still there is something strange going on with the logic...

(those recent uploads that you mention, from the 'Coollection Backup' location are not useful, because the data about watched movies etc is a month old.)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 10:43 pm 

Orclev wrote:
Ok, so I have tested a little more.

The data displayed by the website was updated, but indeed the backups were not uploaded at all.

We'll get deeper into that tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 10:54 pm 

So, not important to fix as I have a workaround now and it can wait indefintely. But I do now have something reproducible from my end :

With original file MyCoollection.Cool - 'view backups on server' shows backup files on server from 26/3 to 4/4; 'publish' does not update website view with most recent changes to database.

make copy of file and rename to test2.Cool (and next test3, test4 etc) and open in app - 'view backups on server' shows nothing; 'publish' updates website view with most recent changes (e.g. changing a rating done 2 minutes before).

Open original file MyCoollection.Cool 'view backups on server' shows backup files on server from 26/3 to 4/4; 'publish' does not update website view with even more recent changes (e.g. changing another rating).

Copying the file and renaming to test3.cool, opening, and publishing, does cause 'publish' to update the website with that most recent change.

As i said, this is easy to do as a workaround so in that sense problem is resolved. But I assume that since just renaming the coollection file 'solves' the issue, there must be something in the code that checks the filenames, that is not working properly?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 9:22 pm 

I need to review my code. I'm sorry, I've been too busy to do it today.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:57 pm 

I've had a look at my code and here's what I've noticed: before sending the files to the server, Coollector asks the server which files it already has. This may explain why the upload was instant... if all the files were already on the server, Coollector uploaded nothing.

Your 10 backups stored on the server were uploaded on April 4th, their names are:

__TOWER_Media_MyCoollection.2024.03.26.221126.cool
__TOWER_Media_MyCoollection.2024.03.28.200258.cool
__TOWER_Media_MyCoollection.2024.03.28.200709.cool
__TOWER_Media_MyCoollection.2024.03.28.213733.cool
__TOWER_Media_MyCoollection.2024.03.28.215216.cool
__TOWER_Media_MyCoollection.2024.04.01.230504.cool
__TOWER_Media_MyCoollection.2024.04.02.200517.cool
__TOWER_Media_MyCoollection.2024.04.03.224053.cool
__TOWER_Media_MyCoollection.2024.04.03.224852.cool
__TOWER_Media_MyCoollection.2024.04.04.214551.cool

In your computer's backups folder, are there any fresher backups that Coollector should have uploaded?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:48 pm 

Sorry, I've been away for a couple of days. There are lots of backups in my local backup folder since 4/4 - about forty of them (from that TOWER location) plus half a dozen or so with other names/locations from when i was doing testing a week or so ago.

To me it seems that it's acting as thought the files are on the server, even though they aren't...

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:55 pm 

Orclev wrote:
To me it seems that it's acting as thought the files are on the server, even though they aren't...

I arrive to the same conclusion :yes:

Tomorrow I'll build you a version that will tell us which backups the app finds on your disk and which backups the server says it has.

We should be able to see where it goes awry.